Don’t let “game day” be the day your pup experiences everything for the first time. So here are 4 Keys to making your retrievers first hunt a success:
- Introduce your retriever to birds early.
- Start with a duck wing & live pigeons in your back yard. Graduate up to using live mallards or pheasants in field-work to simulate a real hunting situation, so when that first greenhead hits the water he isn’t just nosing it and licking it.
- Train how you hunt.
- Gun shots
- Familiarize your retriever with the tools you’ll be using; you don’t want to create a gun shy dog on its first hunt.
- Set realistic expectations of your hunt
- Don’t expect a young retriever to do a seasoned retriever’s work.
- If you haven’t mastered a blind retrieve in training don’t try it in the field.